Mindful Self-Compassion (MSC) is a research-based training program designed to help participants cultivate the life-changing skill of self-compassion.
Based on the groundbreaking research of Dr. Kristin Neff and the clinical expertise of Dr. Chris Germer, MSC offers skills and practices to help you respond to life’s difficulties with greater awareness, care, and understanding.
What is self-compassion?
Kristin Neff defines self-compassion by three core elements: self-kindness, common humanity, and mindfulness.
- Self-kindness is giving ourselves what we need and tapping into the natural warmth and wisdom of our own hearts.
- Common humanity is the recognition that suffering is a natural experience of being human and that our challenging moments connect us to the larger whole.
- Mindfulness is noticing what we are feeling and what is happening here and now so we can respond with greater clarity, acceptance, and ease.
With all three components, we can embody a self-compassionate way of being.
(Click image below to watch a short video of Dr. Kristen Neff explaining benefits of the common humanity component.)
Why sign up?
If you are a human being who has ever experienced stress, pain, loss, or sorrow or who wants to experience more joy, connection, peace, and inspiration, this course is for you.
Self-compassion is a profound and life-changing way to respond to hardships that not only reduces discomfort but also enriches life satisfaction and wellbeing.
In fact, an expansive body of research provides strong evidence that self-compassion consistently:
- decreases anxiety
- depression and stress
- increases happiness, optimism, motivation and resilience
Even more, self-compassion is related to enhanced interpersonal relationships, positive body image, and increased health behaviors.
In hundreds of studies, researchers find self-compassion to be a source of mental and emotional strength that gives people the skills to meet life with greater courage, wisdom, and wholehearted integrity.
Self-compassion is a way of being that benefits not only you, but also all of those with whom you interact. Come find out for yourself how self-compassion can change your life!
What can I expect from the program?
Program activities include:
- discussion of topics
- experiential exercises
- guided meditations (no previous experience necessary)
- small group interaction
- home practices
Handouts will be provided for supporting your self-compassion practice between sessions.
Below is a small sample of the many accessible practices you will experience and be invited to integrate into your daily life over this 8 week course:
A simple 6 minute practice for mindful body awareness and self-kindess. This practice is done standing.
Mindful Self-Compassion Break
A 6 minute meditation for cultivating self kindness and compassion when you need it most. Click image below to go to Youtube video.
.For more information about MSC and the work on self-compassion:
- Center for MSC centerformsc.org/learn-msc/
- Dr. Kristin Neff’s website: selfcompassion.org
- Dr. Chris Germer’s website: chrisgermer.com/
The next 8 week Mindful Self-Compassion course will be in February 2020. For details and registration please click the link below.